Friday, 20 June 2008

Sweetzerland 2

Collected gibberish about Swizzerland written the day before I left...

I love the quality of things here. It seems everything is made to function well and not only that, but looks nice too. Everything is designed and considered, whether it's doors and taps, or footpaths and cycle ways it all works in a very ordered, proper way. People too here seem to have a stronger sense of decency and correctness, whether that comes out in their concern for the environment or their continual greetings and goodbyes, they do seem to have very strong awareness of themselves and their place on the planet and that really determines how they live their lives. I mean its noticeable and seems to be the majority.

It also seems like everyone is out and about doing something, usually involving a bike. I can't believe how many people cycle, and not just school kids, but middle aged and old people too. Its a great way to stay fit and because the roads etc have accommodated cycle ways, they have their own traffic lights and crossings and where space doesn't allow for such things, the car drivers are very courteous and careful and try not to kill anyone. I don't remember seeing anyone who I would class as overweight and don't think I've even seen one of those annoying motorized wheelchairs that are clogging up the pavements at home. They are just more active here, and therefore fitter I'm sure.

The architecture is very cool too. Like I said these people love design and they are good at it. They manage to mix something very old and traditional with something very modern and like everything else here, it just works. I think people here seem more arty in general, they know more about it, are interested in it and want to use it in their daily lives.

I kind of feel like this is the land of the grown-ups, whereas England is the land of the kid with the pan stuck on his head. Its a bit depressing. Having said that of course, I am desperate to go home. I just love my home and familiarity and routine and more than anything, English. The one thing that has really brought me down has been the language barrier and my constant black eye from bumping into it. Yes, I know enough German to get by, if a little wonkily, but Swiss German sounds nothing like it and consequently might as well be Russian or Swahili for the amount I can understand. Added to that their constant desire to speak to everyone at every possible opportunity I feel I have constantly been embarrassed and confused with every encounter. I realise this isn't an insurmountable problem, but it just gets me in an area where I already have no confidence and consequently, I just want to run back to England.

Church bells. We need more church bells in England. I don't understand why we have just abandoned so much of our tradition and culture, supposedly in the name of progress. I love the church bells here, you always know what time it is and they're real, not some cruddy midi bell recording like in Sunderland.

On the negative side, this place is stinking expensive. I feel like an American wingeing about what you can get back home for the same money, but I do understand what its like for them now. Its just insane, although I am guessing that they earn a fair bit more than we do, so can afford to eat etc. at least now and again.

So I'm wondering, why is England so crap? Considering 'we' were once quite a formidable force, taking over half the planet just cos 'we' felt like it, 'we' really haven't made very much of ourselves since. Like you can see this whole 'quality' thing has been around for ages - the old buildings are just as thought out (and well made) as the new ones, so the only real difference I can think of is the weather. Why are houses here about 4 times bigger than at home? Why does our public transport stink? speaking of which, why did we get rid of trams? Why don't people in england care about things being done right? Where is our self respect? Of course I'm generalising and over simplifying, as usual, but it does make me wonder...

3 comments:

shinbone #4 said...

hmmm, sounds like what you encountered was the difference it makes when a culture isn't so self focused. Makes me want to check it out myself, glad it was a good experience in general - even stretching a little... we all need that, don't we.
:D

Anonymous said...

Misterlee, as usual the way that you write makes me smile. Sounds quite beautiful and ideal there in swissville... somehow i wonder the same things about the general degradation on American society. There is so much here and yet we seem to be going downhill to the easy answers and poorly designed. i think part of the problem is the oversensitivity that people like you and i have, but maybe that isn't really a problem and actually more of a blessing. Shauna and i are back from NYC and it was amazing, making me wish for more arty things here at home, but i think that is part of my work living here, to challenge the disregard for creativity and beauty that is more than skin. i feel abit like i'm rambling so i'll stop fer now. Talk to you soon i hope.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me feel very pleased with my homeland. But now I feel a little bit resposible to add something to Mister Lee's laudatio of Switzerland. Simply because not everything is as perfect a little world as it sounds in your writing. Switzerland is not paradise, though many foreigners have this image - of course because it's the image promoted by tourist ads etc. Did I take you to the wrong places? I guess as a typical host I showed you all the nice bits and pieces and left out what's ugly and dysfunctional. These things do exist as well, but maybe less on the surface and only visible when you've lived here a little longer.
Not everyone appreciates art and design or thinks of the environment. It really depends so much on who you meet and whose lifestyle you get to see. So I take it as a compliment of my excellent taste and consideration. :) And next time I'll take you to the other side of Utopia.
Esthi - Swiss host