Sunday, 9 September 2012

The Me I Want to Be

At the moment I'm reading a John Ortberg book called "The Me I Want To Be", which I'm really enjoying, partly because it seems very timely - as I think about what to do with my life. He is basically talking about how God has created us as individuals and spirituality consists of finding out who you are supposed to be and how to live as that person. One quote I liked was "I accept myself as God's gift to me and accept becoming that person as God's task set before me" another I liked was "Hiddenness and pretense are always the enemy of flourishing"
Today I sat in the park and made a list... I'm not sure what you'd call it a list of...its sort of a mixture of who I want to be and how I want to do things...words to myself as it were. Here it is, in no particular order:

Make art and help others to make art
Meet with Christian artists who are passionate about good art and using their abilities for God - whatever that means.
Make time for art making, make time for inspiration
Be prepared to work hard - people will see it
Don't be discouraged, don't be too self critical
Have faith
Draw Draw Draw
Find your way. Bless others but leave them to their thing
Pray for opportunities
Be a person who others can be themselves with
Socialise, network, join in, try (I feel queasy just writing it)
Give stuff away
Experiment
Enjoy stuff
Don't disregard what you know, do, think
Laugh at yourself, at least once a day
Practice
Respond to others' creativity, don't remain passive
Make mistakes - stop trying to be perfect, you're not

Then I came home and finished my latest drawing. My target is for another 3 before I leave Sheffield.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you get your other three drawings done? i hope so, i'd love to see how they turned out!