PELUP-PELUP-PELUP-PELUP
Howdee blogees - I need a bit of feedback for some new designs and I thought where better to go than my trusty friends and fellow blogaholics.
Here's the thing. We are currently having the Capernwray website updated by an outside company (much to the dismay of the I.T. dept, cos we could have done it ourselves) and this other company has decided that we need to be re-branded and given a corporate identity (they're into marketing and all that). So, first they decided that we should get rid of the word Hall from our name, and just be called 'Capernwray' - which is fair enough, I spose, although could be a bit ambiguous and cause problems when there are other centres round the world known as capernwray. Anyway. They came up with a few logos, the main idea being to use the letter 'Y' as a torch and do away with the old one (hooorarrh). However, most of their designs were a bit pants, in my humble opinion. One thing that everyone did seem to like (in the meeting we had) was the font. Below is the best of a bad bunch...

It looks like a wave/squished dove/flame type thing and I only know that cos i'm supposed to know what it is! So I decided to do my own version...
Its still not too obvious that it's supposed to be a torch, but I think it has nice movement and is a bit more sophisticated than theirs. The problem however with my flame was that we were concerned that when it was reduced it might look like a ball of string. Below is the first sample web page with my logo used for the different depts. (holidays, sport+leisure, bible school and on-line store will all have a related logo to the main capernwray hall one)...
Try not to be too dismayed at the 'bruce almighty' type heading, I'm determined to put a stop to any clouds or holy glow!! As you can see, or maybe can't, the flame does get a bit messed up when smaller. The company decided to try some other designs, but after a few months came back to us with the NEW concept of 'Capernwray Hall' - minus any logo, just the font. I couldn't believe it, and think its a total cop-out. I don't think their 'design team' are up to much in the first place, and now think they just can't come up with any better ideas, so are trying to sell us the idea of using the name (including hall) as a way of not having any graphic item. I said I would try again.
Having spent so long previously trying to make a new torch, I decided that maybe I could use the Hall element....
with a different spinny thing for each dept.
with a different spinny thing for each dept.
(couldn't come up with a bible school one!) The idea being that the graphic might be enough on its own to be used smaller, looking related enough to make the connection with the main Capernwray one.
Although I haven't presented these formally to the powers that be, some people have said that they would prefer a tower that looked more like ours and that they aren't so keen on some of the spinny things. These same people are very keen to keep some kind of torch graphic.So, now I'm back to torches etc. and struggling to find a logo I like. It now looks like we won't need to use them as small on the site though, as the different depts will appear as menus across the top (just in type) so it has been suggested that I go back to my old flame (hahar).
I guess the problem (apart from my lack of inspiration) is that the same design will be used as the main image to represent Capernwray Hall whilst representing each dept within that and being transferable to any medium where the logos are used. ie. website, headed paper, signs around the property (yes the old brown sign at the entrance will be going) to advertising. I think I need something as versitile as possible while always being recognisable as Capernwray Hall.
At first I really liked the idea of using a slightly abstract image ie. just the flame but then after working on torches etc. I think I got a bit scared that people might not know what it was, and that made me think we needed something a bit more literal. Now, I've decided that I was just being a coward and that the flames alone are ok, maybe even a little more intelligent (if you know what I mean, instead of spoon-feeding everyone). Now I'm working on big flames as a kind of background, with smaller flames if need, colour coded for each dept....
Then I thought that each dept could have its own separate flame and colour, and all together would make the whole logo...
For some reason it actually looks better here than when printed. I have thought about fading the colours a little more or adding some text effect, to emboss it, not sure if that's getting too fussy though. Of course any colour combos are possible...Anyway, the whole purpose of me telling you all this is for you to let me know what you think. Not just if you like it or don't, but also if it conveys the right message or if you have any ideas about what else I could try. This website has been in the process of being built for ages and now I feel like everyone's expecting me to come up with something straight away. I don't just want to rush it though, cos am conscious that its a big thing and will be used all over the place. So, am looking forward to finding out what you all think. Tar very much.




6 comments:
Hi Michael,
Laura Mullis here, Seth's sister. I love the last design, with the colorful flame and shadowy flame. I also really like the design with the colorful flame throughout the font, very striking!
On another note, I was wondering if you might be up to creating some personal artwork for my Aunt Kay, whom you met at Seth's wedding (the redheaded aunt from AZ). They are redoing there place and I told her she needed one of your paintings of your "people", similar to what you did for Seth and Shauna as well as on your March page. I love those paintings!! The space is very large. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Okay, it was the April page. :)
Heya! Wow, it has been too long and too much is going on! I like the work you have done to redesign the logo... i agree with me sis about the second to last possibility. That is the strongest image in my opinion. Keeping it simple with the text over the flame is really nice. i don't think that there is anything lost... being able to implement a variety of colors into the design is good and will make for a very versatile logo. i think the flame in the Y looks good too but not with the background.. gets to be too much. Also think the tower is a good solution.. but maybe leave the spinny bit out.. or substitute another sort of "bit". i agree about the bruce almighty piece, don't let them have that!!! as for the companies design.. they have done what appears to be a pants job of it! How lame! But good for you because you can show that you are much more skilled creative than this joke of a company. GRIN. some sort of vulgarity and animosity that i have pent up just for such occasions! Well, Shauna and i are buying a house! i'll send you some pictures soon. We sign all the final paperwork on June 27! We have plenty of room fer yer to come visit and stay wiff us and make art! great talking to you, i'm gonna have Shauna(pye) find me a good fonecard so i can call you next! Talk to you soon.
I definately prefer the tower. It has a "sure i'm a bible school but don't mess with me" attitude. I didn't really care for the smoky y. It looks a bit like a cigarrette. But the tower is great.
Hey there dude,
So what's the verdict on all these logos? Has it been decided yet? I do like the different colours flames representing each department and then coming together in an olympic style manner. Maybe you could use different colours besides the ones used for the olympics?! You could always try again and come up with an amazing logo, like the one for the games in London in 2012. It's...ehh...ama...zing...
I concur with Jon - I liek the different colours for different dept. I think I like the ones sans tower and "torch" with just the stylized flame coming from the Y - yours looks much better than their attempts, MUCH... Funny that you called the web page the Bruc Almighty - I couldn't put my figure on it but when I saw it thought - that can't be Michael's it has too much of the stereotypical "Christian" look.
Sp to be clear - I LOVE the Holidays one with the orange yellow background grey writing and flame from the Y (over the one just below it) Like the purple for the Bible School one, but a bit unsure of the font for "Bible School" and the common one on the bottom - those are my votes if they count for anything :D
Hi to the gang!!
Post a Comment