Who now will sing me lullabies

Despite what this wonky american website says, it's two a.m. and I just can't sleep. Dunno what the problem is, but all week I've had trouble nodding off. Its pretty warm in here so it could be that, or I could just be too excited about my new computer (which arrived today) or I could have inadvertently eaten too many E-numbers but either way, I'm not tired in the least. I've also been having some really vivid dreams lately. Last night I dreamt a boy from school turned up here at the Hall to visit me. He had lost a bit of hair and had an earring, maybe put on a bit of weight, but apart from that, he looked the same. The funny thing was that there was no where for him to stay so Linda Thomas had made him a bed on the floor in the paper room in the I.T. (among the piles of paper) and I was trying it out when he arrived - not sure how we knew he was coming, when it was a surprise! Also not sure why he couldn't stay with me when i've got a spare room!! I can't remember much else about it, except that there were loads of other people in the I.T. and we were trying to talk despite the noise, but when I woke up it seemed so real and strong that I almost kept going with the dream except I was no longer asleep. I was quite convinced that he was coming, or that I would find out something about him today. I tried looking him up on google to see if anything turned up, but all I could find was a jazz singer with the same name - I'm pretty sure it wasn't him. I was pretty rotten to him at school, for no good reason and I've always wanted to apologise, so I dunno if that's why he appeared last night, although I still didn't get round to say I was sorry before I woke up - and I hadn't consciously been thinking about him anyway. I sometimes wonder if I'm supposed to pray for people when they turn up in my dreams unannounced, so I did, kind of. Dreams are very odd.
My hero Frederick Buechner says...
"Freudians and Jungians, prophets and poets, philosophers, fortunetellers and phonies all have their own claims about what dreams mean. Others claim they don't mean a thing. But there are a least two things they mean that seem incontrovertible.
One of them is that we are in constant touch with a word that is as real to us while we are in it, and has much to do with who we are, and whose ultimate origin and destiny are as unknown and fascinating, as the world of waking reality. The other one is that our lives are a great deal richer, deeper, more intricately interrelated, more mysterious, and less limited by time and space than we commonly suppose.
People who tend to write off the validity of the religious experience in general and the experience of God in particular on the grounds that in the Real world they can find no evidence for such things should take note. Maybe the Real World is not the only reality, and even if it should turn out to be, maybe they are not really looking at it realistically."
One of them is that we are in constant touch with a word that is as real to us while we are in it, and has much to do with who we are, and whose ultimate origin and destiny are as unknown and fascinating, as the world of waking reality. The other one is that our lives are a great deal richer, deeper, more intricately interrelated, more mysterious, and less limited by time and space than we commonly suppose.
People who tend to write off the validity of the religious experience in general and the experience of God in particular on the grounds that in the Real world they can find no evidence for such things should take note. Maybe the Real World is not the only reality, and even if it should turn out to be, maybe they are not really looking at it realistically."
4 comments:
Fascinating... I also tend not to sleep much lately (then again, when do I ever??)...my last post was titled 3 am ramblings - I like yours better.
You know, one time, I had this dream (sort of a dream I think I was possibly semi conscious) where there was a long line of people walking passed me... as they stepped in front I felt I was supposed to pray for them - so I did. It wasn't the usual dream type prayers/conversations that don't make sense in the light of day but real prayers for specific things in their lives. Sue Gilmore was in my dream and when she stepped in fron of me all of a sudden I felt like I couldn't open my mouth, I could form sentences in my mind even. I tried to talk to her and ask her to pray for me, but it was impossible...finally I got the word "God" out and all of a sudden I could speak again - and pray. It was a strange semi wakeful dream, and when morning did come I felt like I'd slept for ages, but I knew from the times I had looked at the clock it had only been a few hours - strange huh??
Ever since, when there are unexpected people in my dreams I figure I probably should pray for them - I figure God probably brought them to my attention - and for a reason :D
Once I had a dream that I was British and you were American....a nightmare for us all.
Great quote - I had a dream last night that a whole bunch of the Hall staff were in our house. Seriously, I was lying there wondering how to get out of bed without a bunch of people seeing me in my underwear. On a totally unrelated note (thank goodness), I really enjoyed catching up with you and seeing some of your work and your world in design and art. I'll be looking for that tutorial at my uni library, though iWeb looked so easy that I might ditch DW and go with that!! It was great to see you again.
BTW, my design is beginnning to come together for my church's site, I'll fire it off to you and you can let me know what you think!
nothing to do with yer blogly... i miss you and hope to call you soon, i need to find a calling card, we live in our new house now and it is wonderful! come visit!!! i'm excited about yer doin a painting fer me aunty i'm hopefully gonna do some work for her too. i've got my show up at the library and it is scary because i got a call today about it falling down! What a steg ( i can't even hang a show successfully!) ARGHG Hennyway i'll get a phone card soon and call yer. Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment