Thursday, 6 September 2007

The True Face of Love

Stumbled across something I wrote in 2004 - thought I'd share...

Looking at Louis Le Brocquy's 'Image of Picasso' (above) I see anger, passion, tissues, gore, blood, vulnerablility, intensity, disbelief, pain and more and more. It fades into white, peacefully, still. I think about my face, my temperament, all that is below the surface, all that I am. All that is above and how it can all fade away. I think about the complexity of the body. I am "fearfully and wonderfully made", "you knit me together in my mother's womb" - you can certainly see the 'strings' in this portrait. I think about the frailty of life/the body, "you remember that we are dust", "a passing vapour". There is great power in this painting and great peace too. I think about God's face, if He has one in the conventional sense. I look at these piercing eyes, is there any love in them at all? Does the aggression come from fear? How do people see my face? God can see through all of us - like this painting. I like the way the white soothes the intensity and pain of the face. I think about the Spirit of God, the peace of God. I pray that I would live to be the person I was created to be. That even all the pain and blood and anger and doubt would all be lived out. I pray for integrity and boldness to be true in the light of me being me and in the light of being God's creation, by Him and for Him.

2 comments:

shinbone #4 said...

amen

Anonymous said...

all that is hidden and revealed mixed together in one place.