Sunday, 9 December 2007

ONE

I’ve recently become interested in British sculptor Antony Gormley and in particular his use of his own body as his main means of working. I really love his solitary figures and have been trying to work out what it is that attracts me to them and also sees some connection to my own work, or what I want to say through it. There is something about the isolation and frailty of them, even though they are anything but physically frail. I just realised that I like the anonymity of them and beauty of their featureless form. There is something too about the context in which they appear, ie. the real world and not just a gallery, which connects with who we are and says something about our lives, our situation.



Material is obviously important for Gormley, and its interesting to imagine how different one of his figures would look if it were more human, more lifelike, ie. a figure from Madame Tussauds. It makes me think about Jesus being born on earth, giving up his heavenly body, and exchanging it for one of a much simpler construction. I wonder if he felt out of place, like a metal man on a beach or stood on a hill with his arms stretched out while people danced around and took photos at his feet.



I guess it appeals to me because I often feel alone, and not just solitary, but different, maybe alienated. I don’t know what it is about me that just never seems to quite fit in with everyone else round about and I might as well be a rusting red figure on top of a tree trunk for the amount of community I feel or create.

But then again, the fact that none of us really fits in and none of us can really be ‘known’ by another is a thing we have in common and therefore a form of community, a shared humanity (or so I’ve been told).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grand! It is really nice to read your monologue about yer opionions of art work. There is a real simplicity and cleanness about it. i think it would be interesting to see a small book of thoughts on art that you have written with pictures of the work on opposing pages... (just an idea) maybe we could take our journal letter go that kind of a direction. Interesting that you feel the isolation.. i think in some ways it is part of life... very difficult to know another completely probably impossible. Charlie and Clive say 'ello! Talk to yer soon.

shinbone #4 said...

I love that... thanks... I'm glad your an Antony Gormley fan... I think his stuff is amazing he uses spaces so well, I wish I could do stuff that evoked half so much emotion just by placing something so simple in ordinary places and somehow creating something that has to be looked at.
I'm sure you wrote this a while ago... I haven't been on the computer so much lately, but last night I was talking to a friend about this feeling of isolation... usually born out of our unwillingness to be really vulnerable. It just seems so impossibly hard to connect sometimes, despite a desire to be known it's so hard to share who I really am, know what I mean??
anyway. Very eloquently put. Thanks Mikey. :D