Its Never Dull In Hull
Yesterday was a beautiful day. Probably one of the best of the summer, even though its not summer any more, or maybe because of it. Anyway, ages ago Julie, Andrew and I agreed we'd go for a day out to Hull, where I went to University but couldn't manage it because of all of our busy schedules (we are so cosmopolitan) until yesterday, and to be honest I was thinking that the weather would be rubbish in september, but to my delight it was just great, and Hull was just great too. They graciously helped me re-live some of my memories, which involved me dragging them around the city and a few places where I lived. It was so weird to be back, and what made it weirdest of all was the fact that it didn't seem strange to be back at all (is that a contradiction?). I lived there for 5 years and I think I expected to feel something, some kind of emotion, but apart from being excited about showing them the sights, I didn't really feel anything, which I kinda think was good. I was very impressed with how the city has changed and is obviously making an effort to regenerate itself and doing a good job. Another thing I really enjoyed was how there were gaps in my memory and parts of town that I'd completely forgotten about, until I saw them again, and then the memories came back - dunno why that was such a good feeling, but it was.








the majesty of the humber bridge
2 comments:
That IS a fascinating thing about memory - forgetting something until you see it again, or even a moment before it comes into view and then it all rushes back as if it had never made it's home in some dark dank corner of your mind where other forgotten things live. Just amazing! I often feel that when I return to England...
well, haven't had a good time to talk fer a while and fer that i yam sorry. nice pictures and a good story about yer day... did it make you want to get back to school or art making? today i am going with Ryan to see a show of Christo's prints and another of Damien Hirst's sculpture in Denver. should be dool... wish you were here.
Post a Comment