Monday, 19 January 2009

As in a Glass Darkly

Looking through my iPhoto library, I noticed that I tend to take more than a few photos through windows or in glass. Maybe cos I happen to see something I like the look of when I'm in a car, although I wouldn't recommend juggling with a camera when driving, or maybe its something to do with reflections and how we ignore them most of the time, but when they're part of a photograph they suddenly become interesting. Anyway, its like I'm highlighting a way of seeing, a means of seeing, and recently I've been realising how my feelings/emotions colour the way I see things and distort the truth: the truth about God specifically, although it happens too with other things. The other week I heard a speaker say that "God will never validate his presence through your feelings, because you're feelings aren't real...they're just your perception of what's going on." I was quite stunned, because I am one of these people who is always hoping for a nice feeling from God, to prove He's there(!) and am so ridiculously affected by my feelings (I'm discovering), and yet at the same time think this statement makes so much sense. I mean, where is faith if I base my opinion of God on whether I can feel him or not? and what's the point in knowing God's character and promises if I'm just gonna abandon this knowledge because I don't 'feel' like its true. The alternative of course, is to embrace the fact that certain things are true or absolute and no matter how I happen to be seeing them at the time, they remain true and that faith comes from this knowledge/decision/hope, not whatever feeling happens to be passing by at the moment.
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." - James 1:17

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics and thinking about the reflection of pictures and how we tend to see things through an emotional filter. Reminds me of Paul writing about how now we see things, God's truth, only like "through a mirror dimly" but that one day, we will see it all clearly and completely. Can't wait for that.

shinbone #4 said...

great title!!
It's funny I am always trying to tell this to my sister Joy, she is a very emotional person and definitely struggles with faith, especially when she can't FEEL God. I always remember (and reminded her) that we are to love God with all our hearts, souls and MINDS... people leave that out, but there has to be a part of our love for him that is decision based. We choose to act towards him in love, despite how we feel on any given day. Know what I mean?? Of course you do, you just blogged about it :P