Tuesday, 24 February 2009

A Thinking Spot

So Les very kindly let me clear out the old paper store and turn it into my very own little studio. Here's how it looked before I moved in
And here's how it looks now
Note my guiding star and fire extinguisher
I'm honestly not soaking my weary feet, despite how it looks
So, I'm very excited to have this spot to myself and also very excited to paint again. I've discovered (or rather re-discovered) that I don't know what I'm doing though and really need to learn how to get the medium of paint to work for me. I'm a draughtsman, not a painter, so them hairy sticks do prove something of a problem. I did make a bit of a break through the other day though, when I discovered that wood is my best friend and I can sand and scratch it to make my mark. Here are a couple of my beginings...I can really tell that my work is desperately lacking reference, and I need to sort out my 'language' as well as what message I'm trying to tell. Of course I get stuck easily and already am at the 'afraid of messing it all up' stage with these, although I'm also very excited. I just need to do more more more.

4 comments:

shinbone #4 said...

YOU HAVE A STUDIO!!! Lucky :D
It looks like you've made it a home already - I'll have to stop by for a tour sometime.

Anonymous said...

free cheers fer studio space and a working artguy! Whellp, i'm berry sited to see you working and looks to be a great space for you! As always the images are very strong and i look forward to more, i hope that your assessment of "more more.." is inspiring. don't be too critical, just paint. At a certain point the work becomes what it is and that is good enough. keep rolling and rocking!

Unknown said...

well its about time!
good jarb! i like your new stuff! which one is mine?

colin the magnificent said...

way to go big mike, soon you'll be taking over the whole place, then you can paint like the aspiring world dictator that you are. any paintings on bricks yet?
PS, I like the one with the crooked head looking at the candle, do you ever paint fat people?