Monday, 8 June 2009

i am who i am

"If people knew us as we really are, without all the worldly decorations we have gathered, would they still love us? Or would they forget us as soon as we were no longer of use to them? This is the central question of identity: Are we good because of what we do or have, or because of who we are? Am I somebody because the world makes me into somebody, or am I somebody because I belonged to God long before I belonged to the world?" - Henri Nouwen

3 comments:

seth said...

He is so much bigger than any of this! i hope and pray you are well. maybe we can talk someday?

shinbone #4 said...

The later sentiment for sure! I would like to copy Seth and say.

I hope and pray you are well.
AND add - the picture is genius.
Much love,
G

Joel and Rachel said...

I've just been reading some Nouwen myself lately. "Clowning around Rome." It was good. Also read another one of your favourites Freddy B, a new book called "Yellow Leaves" also good. What book is the quote you posted from?

Joel