Friday, 23 March 2007

A change is as good as a rest (so they say)

I know, I know... its been a while. You'd better go and get yourself a couple of slices of toast, some salt and vinegar crisps and a cup of hot water, or tea if you must. Go on then, I can wait. You might want some chocolate for desert too, I fear this may take a while...

Ok then, when last we spoke I think I was just about to take a (well deserved) week off work, which flew by like nobody's business. I wanted to do things I don't normally get to do and just enjoy the time and daylight and stuff and although I kind of did do that, it was strange to feel pressure to consciously enjoy everything I was doing, or make sure I was appreciating it, or somat. I'm the only person I know who can turn a holiday into a guilt trip.

I decided the first thing you should always do on your jollies is go to the Lakes and climb up a hill, at least an english sized hill. Although I felt quite prepared about where I was going, and what I was taking, I realised as I started my car that I didn't have enough change for any car park and especially not a ridiculously over-priced one in the Lake District. I could have stopped the engine and gone back inside to get some money, but because i didn't want to go to all the hassle of taking off my muddy boots again, I decided I could buy some stuff for a picnic, get some change and carry on. Funny how these little decisions can change everything. I knew I should just go in and get the money, but for reasons known only to my abnormal little brain, I didn't. So, off I went. I stopped at the shop as planned, and bought some stuff to eat, only without thinking about the price and so when I came to pay for it, still didn't get enough change to be any use. Instead of asking them to change a note like a normal person, I decided to change my plans instead and park for free somewhere else - again, I don't know why. I still ended up having a nice walk, just not where I wanted to go. Here a few photees.

I parked near the cemetery where its free. I like the turnstile - as my mother would say, 'people are dying to get in'


My feet in a stream. Waterproof boots are great.


The view


The other direction with gate posts


The view from my dining spot


My healthy picnic before it blew away.

Then the battery in my camera died, so I stopped taking photos and tried to shovel the food into my mouth before the wind whipped it over my shoulder. I love eating outside, food just tastes better with a bit of grass. So, by the time I'd finished, my fingers had gone quite numb and I was starting to convulse. I decided to walk back down, the quickest way possible. Thinking that I'd buy myself a hot chocolate in the town and warm myself up, before going to the next place. Of course on the journey down I changed my mind again - thinking it seemed extravagant to sit about drinking when I could spend the time somewhere else and kind of pointless to sit in a coffee shop by myself. I moved on to the next town, deciding to park for an hour (cos I still didn't have much change), wandered about the shops, bought nothing, and then came home feeling irritated. So, what's the point of me telling you all this? Well, I'm not too sure, except it shows something of who I am, and what its like to be inside my head. This was the first day of my holidays, when I was feeling most optimistic and enthusiastic until it quickly faded and just didn't seem to 'work out'. The rest of the week didn't 'work out' either, not that I'm looking for sympathy or anything, because I realised something about myself, which is that I'm actually not very good left on my own...and the funny thing is that I thought I was. More on this later.

by the way, took this photo in Newcastle.

it's true.