Friday, 20 July 2007

Sowing Generously

I decided to try to take a leaf out of monsieur Barnard's lovely cyber book (aka blog) and try to write something about what I'm reading in my daily reading, as it were. This will kill at least a dozen metaphorical birds in the bush with one stone in the hand (I think you know what I'm saying). Of course we will all be lucky, or at least a little surprised if I manage to do this thing more than once, but nonetheless I will proceed, believing with all my heart that this is a 'life-changing habit' about to be formed. Beware, its a biggy.

2 Corinthians 9
It seems reading the BIble on computer is somehow easier than in the leathery flesh, not easier on the eye, (I still don't like reading big chunks on a screen, despite or maybe because of my computeresque job) but in the sense of it somehow it's easier to think about and seems 'newer' when I read it from the internet - I'm such a cyber junky (or maybe I'm just trying to be cool). Anyway, on to THE WORD.

Paul is telling the Corinthians to sow generously, and when I first read this I thought he was mainly talking about money, probably because the phrase "For the Lord loveth a cheerful giver" (verse 7) was emblazoned across the front of the offering box in my sunday school, which, even from being a kid, I considered to be blackmail. But I think he's talking more about just being generous in everything or with everything, and God loves us to enjoy the giving and to have a heart that is happy to let go and not hold onto whatever good stuff we have. I've heard verse 8 quoted loads of times... "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." but I had never noticed it in the context of giving before. This seems to be saying that God enables us to give in every situation (resulting in good works) and goes on... "As it is written: 'He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.'" Which I'm guessing must be either poor in monetary terms, or spiritual but either way, God splatters them (us) with His gifts, even to you foreigners who live abroad (imagine that??).

The seed is the occupation of the sower and his livelihood, also his sustenance in the future when turned into bread, and God provides it all.
He will also supply AND increase our store of seed, the amount we have waiting - provision for our actions and for our needs and will even enlarge the harvest of our righteousness, the fruit of our sowing. I love the next bit, which I can't ever remember reading before..." You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God" I know I have to keep reminding myself that there's a context to this thing, but I think the principle is there for us too, that God wants to make us 'rich' IN EVERY WAY so that we can be generous ON EVERY OCCASION, which will result in people giving thanks to God. Doing so not only supplies the needs of God's people, but overflows with expressions of thanks to God. He goes on to say that when we are obedient in this, which accompanies our confession of the gospel, i.e. our words match up with what we do, men will praise God and be thankful to Him for us. They will pray for us because God has given His grace, no wonder Paul calls it an indescribable gift - its bizarre, it really is the gift that keeps on giving.

So, how does this apply to me (I know you've been wondering when I was going to get onto my favourite subject). Like I said (about an hour ago - no joke, i'm a slow thinker), I was originally thinking that this was about money and yeah, I think I do my bit for a couple of places, but I'm sure God is often telling me I need to do more, so even though this isn't just on about money, I think I need to be more disciplined and determined to give financially.
Apart from that, I don't feel much like giving in the other senses, time, hospitality, myself etc. It's a bit of a long story (not another one you cry) which I'll try to make very brief (at last, you cry), but for this summer I'm involved in the 'Volunteer Staff Support Team' which seemed like a good idea at the time, but after a month I'm ready to jack-in. The idea is we keep an eye out for new staff, check how they're settling in etc, plan Bible studies and organise social events while trying to be a good influence in their lives. All very worthwhile. However, I'm getting a little frustrated with some of the volunteer lads I'm 'supporting' and feel like I'm standing alone in my quest for godliness and just general maturity. I'd much rather support them with a sharp stick! (maybe that's not the most mature thing to say on my part though). My natural reaction (which I justify by calling it self-preservation) is to withdraw and give up and declare I've done all I can. Unfortunately, I think God is using this chapter to tell me that no matter how 'poor' I might feel right now, unable and even unwilling to give to anyone, especially to these hooligans who are behaving like chimpanzees (sorry to any chimps reading this), that He is the one who gives the grace, meeting all my needs at all times, so that I can give, and to top it all, people will even pray for me - to give me another dose of grace to keep the whole thing going. I sometimes get a bit wistful and romantic about these kind of concepts, but right now I think He might be telling me to stop being so sappy and just trust what He can do. I also need to remember that sometimes seeds take a while before they can be made into bread, and also that monkeys eat fruit (read my last post).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good insight into the text. i love to read how the various parts of yer life are integrated into your thought process and daily movements! You are a great inspiration and it was wonderful talking to you a few days ago.. i haven't nailed down the skype deal yet but i have an idea to get that up and moving pretty soon. will let yer know.