Wednesday, 7 November 2007

Made in America. ONE

I knew this would happen. I know what I'm like. I should have written about my trip as soon as I got back, if not sooner and now its feels almost too late. Anyway, I think I'll try to make it simple and divide things into catagories.


People:
I think what made this trip so good was being able to catch up with a variety special friends who I don't get to see all the time and yet feel like our friendships just pick up again where we left them. In order of appearance we have:

Joelski and Rachelska Hofferpants


followed by Florin and Zachychops MacRhodes


then Mizz Hevvur Tee


onto Colorado we have...
Sethicus and Shaunapye


and finally miss Katya (pic coming soon! - sorry i forgot to take one at the time)

Thank you to all of you for making the effort to come and see me, and especially to the Hoffmans and Hunters for being such great hosts and looking after my every need (aka food, Seth). A special special thank you to Joel and Rachel for spending all their wedding vouchers and coupons on me you were very generous and I really appreciate it. (Sorry for all the dark, blurry, and just plain nasty photos!!! If you don't know about my broken camera, then you aren't my friend)

Art:
So, the main reason for my trip, or at least the initial motivation for it was to paint a picture for Seth's Aunt Kay, (or Kate, as I like to call her). Negotiations were made through Seth's sister Laura, who is now virtually my agent in USA!!! and I was surprised to discover that the painting I thought she was interested in being reproduced was actually a sketch and therefore much harded for me to replicate. After a couple of exhausting days wrestling with canvas and stretchers, Seth and I managed to get the desired result, with 2 stretchers for me and 1 for him, bleeding knuckles notwithstanding. Then came the actual process of painting. I found it much harder than I'd expected to 'paint to order' and also just difficult to get the right result. Here it is....


I'm not actually sure it's what she wanted, but I'm guessing that no news is good news. Its pretty big, 6'x4' and called "Dora's Field II" after the one I made on my 'quiet week'. Here's another pic with Seth's feet and garage door to help give it some scale.


Laura had also arranged for another commission, which turned out to be my second challenge. Again I expected it to be very simple, but in reality it turned out to be quite frustrating - I'm really not sure of the right way to deal with commissions. Its much easier when someone comes along and buys a painting that's already in existence! Anyway, here it is. This is in the style of William deBilzan, so I almost feel like its not mine. Again, pretty big, 5'x3'.


Seth then gave me a 20 minute challenge: to produce a painting (while being filmed). I didn't manage to finish within the 20 mins, so he let me add to it later. I really like it. I know a lot of people don't think its as attractive as the other stuff, but I have a feeling it will become quite a significant painting in my body of work, although can't quite explain why just yet. Its called "The Helper" and is 4'x3'


Next comes this, as yet untitled, 3'x2'


Then the cupboard door. A reaction to all the stress and colour of the previous days. "The Resting" 27"x16". I also like this one a lot and hope it doesn't entirely fall to pieces!


And here I am with the collection...


So, that's part one. More to come later.

3 comments:

shinbone #4 said...

FINALLY!!!! For a little while I thought you had disappeared off the planet (not aliens taking you or anything, more like an Enoch or Elijah story... )
Love the new paintings... and I agree painting to order is so much harder, for me because you are painting for another persons likes/dislikes and not just for your own personal enjoyment/expression.
AND I just have to say... I'm so jealous of your liason with Lauren and Zach!!! I've been trying to figure out a way to see them for the last 2 years I think, and we are on the same side of the ocean *sigh*
Anyway... glad it was good... I was So curious.

Anonymous said...

heya shortly pants. i tried to post a comment a while ago when i first read your post, but didn't wotk. Henny, the pictures look good and i am really happy that you were able to come over. sounds like i've got two more paintings to do soon so that will be nice. Let me know about the paypal fing so we can get you yer dosh.

Anonymous said...

I really like the paintings. Especially liked the "Resting" one. Anyway, we're really glad you came too. We are in Africa now so it's been difficult to find time to write. And it's been an interesting story. I don't remember if we gave you our blog joelandrachelhoffman.blogspot.com Anyway that tells the story in a bit more detail though Uganda isn't turning out much better.

Glad your trip was good though. I think we still have some left over vouchers if you want them.