Sunday, 26 October 2008

Hometown In My Head. Part i




So, here I am sitting in Starbucks in Sunderland - what a contradiction. My extra-hot cappuccino is still not hot enough and the no teaspoons policy gets me every time - how am I s'posed to eat the froth off my drink without getting splinters in my tongue? Its odd being home, but kinda nice. The city is trying to better itself, but the people aren't. Its good just to have time here and not feel like I need to be with anyone, or do anything. Sometimes I think I've become institutionalised and can't cope with society and 'normal' life. Sometimes I think I'm agoraphobic, or homosapien-a-phobic or just plain scared of everyone and everything.

[A woman has just walked into the Starbucks sign in the window - almost smacked her head off it - I can't help but laugh]

Coffeeshop culture just doesn't work in Britain. Everywhere is too small, too crowded and there's a constant pressure to either keep buying things, or get out and give your seat to someone else. There are paintings of Roy Keane in the shops - I can't understand why people buy pictures of Roy Keane just cos he manages a football team. Are people looking for a hero, an example, a saviour? - even if he's an Irishman with a bad temper? (wonky). Or maybe we're all just looking for something, someone outside of ourselves, cos we know how disappointed we are with ourselves. Or maybe we're just looking for something to make us happy, like winning at football, or a facebook notification so we know we haven't been forgotten, entirely.
Is that why we're all collecting facebook-friends so we can quantify our value?- my total isn't very impressive. (I wish I didn't even notice or care.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the green picture makes me want to be back there, that was a great blessing to see where you are from, i hipe togo back sometime. (hope) i look forward to sitting in a coffee ship with you and tlaking (i can't tyhpe ritht now).