Big Mouth Strikes Again
Today I went to the dentist's. I've had toothache for about 2 weeks now, and I couldn't take it any more. The dentist told me I should have acupuncture. She said that she can't see anything wrong with my tooth, except that I grind my teeth and I need to relax, before I make them fall out (comforting words. she's german). To be honest I'm not surprised, although quite disappointed that I still have to put up with the pain. I've been feeling stressed for ages now, by stressed I mean anxious, in my body more than my mind. Just sitting watching tv I discover my shoulders virtually touching my ears, my hands have formed fists with white knuckles and my toes are raised off the ground, not to mention my jaws clamped tightly shut. I really don't know what to do about it, except reach for the nearest sewing kit and start stabbing myself. Turning to the Bible, I just did a search on the word peace, and verse that stood out is
"a heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones (or teeth!)" proverbs 14:30
I liked the first part, but not the second, cos I don't like to think of myself as being envious - although I know I am, a lot. (I was talking to a friend a while ago about my life and feelings and they said that there didn't seem to be peace in any area of my life, which at the time I brushed off, thinking they didn't know what they were talking about, but I'm wondering now if they had/have a point.) Back to the verse, I guess what its saying is that looking at others, and comparing, and being dissatisfied, and replacing God with others will only eat us away inside, and that a heart at peace doesn't need to prove anything, doesn't need to worry, because it just is, and it is because it knows the AM and that is enough.
I'm a long way from there at the moment, but hopefully, one day, and while I still have a couple of teeth left in my head.
I'm a long way from there at the moment, but hopefully, one day, and while I still have a couple of teeth left in my head.

1 comment:
good challenge! i will be praying for your stress as i pray for Shauna (she is usually physically stressed too). i hope we can talk sometime soon.. i miss the weekly chat.
Post a Comment