Tuesday, 14 September 2010

One Week

Its been a week since I moved in...seems like a lot longer. Tonight is really windy and the rushing of the trees sounds like the ocean lapping at my door, its quite a nice sound, comforting (which is ironic cos this is the furthest I've ever lived from the sea). The wind that's somehow managing to blow round the room isn't quite so comforting. I'm sitting wrapped in a blanket with a laptop doubling as a hot water bottle. I fear I'm going to be cold for the next 6 months - I really need to find a supply of cheap wood or coal before it gets properly cold. Talking of colds, I happen to have one, which isn't helping make me feel any more cheery.

Anyway, its been odd living entirely by myself. I've spoken to people on the phone and stutff, but I've definitely been aware of not having that personal interaction. I haven't felt lonely, but do often feel alone and a certain vulnerability at not having friends or family close by. I was really hoping I'd meet some friendly people at church on Sunday but didn't quite manage that. I went to a large (for england) church which is fairly close to where I live and meets in a warehouse. I think it was kind of a hillsongs type of place, or wannabe, but I didn't really like it. It all seemed very individualistic with the emphasis on doing your own thing in your own way. My cold was at its peak and I wasn't feeling great, so I left at 12.15 which I'm guessing was no where near the end - so I didn't get to speak to anyone. Maybe next week's Sunday adventure will be more profitable.

Today was my first bin day, which was exciting. I think my landlady always left the wheelie bin on the road, so I was doing the same until I realised all the local kids were dumping their pop bottles and crisp packets in it as they walked past, not to mention the dog owners who were kindly leaving me their stinkin 'doggie' bags!  I was thus eagerly awaiting collection day, only to discover that when I went to collect it, my bin had gone! Some of the people in the road had already collected their bins, which meant I had to go wandering up and down the left overs, looking for mine, without appearing too suspicious. After raking halfway up the street and down I couldn't find it anywhere, so decided to go down the other street (I live on the corner to 2 dead-end roads), although there weren't any stray bins standing about. As luck would have it, it was parked in the first house's driveway, so I quickly nicked it back and ran up the street with it, only to discover the pop and poo were still inside! I am not impressed with the Sheffield dustbin men.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the Christian centre (with the ghost of the smoking bishop) to join their communion service - as much to have a bit of personal interaction as spiritual. I've also decided to go home to sunderland for a few days as its my Mam's birthday on Wednesday and thought it would be nice to see her, as well as get a warm. More later...

1 comment:

shinbone #4 said...

Despite the dreary weather/cold/dustbin incident/church it still sounds all very hopeful in your post, and that's nice :D
I really pray God blesses you in this place and that you'll find such a deep communion with Him that it blows your socks off. (literally -because that would be v. cool!)