What's Going On
So, I'm slowly settling into life here, although I think it really is going to take a while, especially to make friends and feel that this is really 'home'. However, I still can't say that I've felt lonely, although do enjoy getting phone calls and other forms of communication from you lot. Hence the first photo - a home made friend for a new home from Mr Andrew.

I'm finding it hard to get used to my very chilly house. I'm cold nearly all the time I'm at home and its not anything like winter yet. My towels never feel dry and I'm constantly wrapped in a blanket. I haven't started using the heating yet, basically because I'm afraid of how much its going to cost (its all electric storage heating that get hot during the night and blows out during the day) and am scared that if I get used to it now, I'll be frozen in the winter when I really need it.
Although I do sometimes feel like I live a bit further out of the city than is sensible...it is really close to some nice countryside. I had a ride down the road the other day, (cos its warmer in my car than the house) and came across the pretty little village of Bradfield.
As an attempt to meet people and potentially make some art contacts, I enrolled in an art evening class for adults. It great cos its printmaking and even greater cos its free and while being a bit basic facilities-wise I've really enjoyed going. The first week especially I enjoyed talking to the teacher, who is a lad of about 28 and the boyfriend of the boss of the project ("art in the park"). She (the boss) also joins in the class and I'm hoping that even if I can't keep going after this term that I might be able to help out at other events or get involved with them somehow. So far, we've just done small lino prints and have to begin everything with observational drawings - its kind of funny to have someone else giving me restrictions after so long of pleasing myself, but at the same time its nice not to have the 'pressure' and just do what I'm told. After feeling a bit embarrassed at my attempts and not sure whether to tell people I have a degree in art, I started enjoying things and felt like my results were better than the others. However, this week a new bloke appeared on the same table as me, who turned out to be really talented - much to my horror!! I think I'll have to try harder next week...or sit somewhere else.
On another arty note, I attended my first 'sketchcrawl' last Sunday. It was the first Sheffield sketchcrawl and organised by a professional illustrator called Lynne Chapman. It was advertised in the free newspaper that comes through my door and having read about other sketchcrawls on other people's blogs, I signed up straight away. Despite the chilly grey day the atmostphere was warm and friendly and I was surprised at the amount of people who turned up and had a go. It was actually quite tricky cos the locations we drew in were really full visually, and I was very conscious of passers by having a sneaky look over my shoulder. But it was so nice to be doing it in a group and there was a nice feeling of solidarity and support.


There are more photos on Lynne's blog - some featuring little me
http://lynnechapman.blogspot.com/
(Its taken about 2 hours to post thing, so I haven't added anything about my first 2 days at college...it'll be coming soon)













3 comments:
I'm glad you put this up. I didn't want my massive amount of blog readers to come over to your blog on my recommendation and then see nothing artistic! Really impressive though. I liked that idea of a sketchcrawl. I'm trying to get back into that "draw one thing a day" idea from that book. I'm glad you're able to do so many art things.
Michael, my dear brother! it is so great to see you working and making art. i'm looking so forward to what you are headed for. it is great seeing the process unfold. we need to talk soon. hope you are well (recovered from the cold and church experience.
honestly, how do you keep finding all these clubs to join?! Oh right, you live in Britain and I live in the great northern wilderness... I will just remain jealous.
I am glad to see you're finding loads of stuff to do that you enjoy :D
blessings!
Post a Comment