Critical Update No. 1
Yep, its been a looooong time since I posted anything here. Sorry bout that. A lot has gone on in the six months since I left Capernwray and because I don't quite know how to sum it all up in one go, I thought I'd divide things into sections. I also thought I might post some of my reflections from my journal - that way you'll get an insight to what I've been thinking, and also might get an idea of the mysterious world of art therapy.
Ok, to begin with, an easy one...my house. Despite all my fears, things in my little house have really worked out fine and although I had one leak over Christmas and a bit of a problem with horrible kids spitting in my post box, I really am very thankful that God has more than kept an eye on me and everything has been ok. I was worried about freezing to death and while it could never be described as being toasty warm, it hasn't been half as bad as I thought, with the little wood burner and a fleecy blanket saving the day on more than one occasion. One good thing about the chilly conditions is that the monster spiders that terrorised me at the beginning have been hiding away, although I have already had a couple of visits from the eight legged foe these past few days. (there's one in my bath as I type!). Anyway, now that the first 6 months of my tenancy agreement are up I am renting on a monthly basis, which means I can move somewhere else if something comes along, although I don't know how much longer I want to actually live in Sheffield. Next year my course is only one day per week which means I could move back home to save money. If I did decide to move to a new place here, I would have to have another 6 month contract, which means I'd end up staying longer than I wanted. Right now, I think I'll just stay where I am and see what happens.
JOURNAL ENTRY - FIRST ART MAKING SESSION 28.09.2010
IMAGE MAKING:
Found the room really annoying. We only had 20 minutes to make an image and felt like half the time was spent rearranging furniture and queueing up for materials. I instantly forgot what I was supposed to be making an image about and felt like I blundered on without really knowing what I was meant to do. Was conscious of wanting to make a good image. Felt like as I worked the subject changed slightly and what came through was more an image about moving here and leaving stuff behind. Facing the new reality of a career in Art Therapy. I quite enjoyed the process, although the conditions are not what I would choose, as I said.
REFLECTION
A grey figure stands on a path leading away from a tower. The tower was intended to represent Capernwray, but could it also stand for a prison? or a life of seclusion or boundary? Birds hover or follow in the sky. What do they represent? Maybe I was thinking of Hansel and Gretel, the birds stealing the secret to the path back home? maybe they circle like vultures? A black cloud of confusion surrounds the figure’s head. He speaks out colour from his inside. The colour is therapy, is healing. He speaks over a boy who is lying prostrate, or flying a little below him. The boy is meant to be sick. Is the boy myself, my inner child? Will art therapy bring healing for me as well as any clients? He is Christ-like in his crucifixion form, could this show the secondary nature of my faith or Christ’s role in my life (due to his size and location). Could it be a declaration of how art therapy will/can function for Christians or in my Christian service in the future?

3 comments:
It's good to see you're back, and that you're staying in your house for now. That gives us more of a chance to see it one day. I like reading/seeing your reflections on leaving Capernwray for art therapy. It's funny how obvious the choice seems now (Capernwray/prison analogy) when in the past it was so uncertain. Anyway can't wait for no. 2 and a proper catch up on skype soon.
I'm glad you're back. The art therapy still fascinates me and I wonder just where it will lead you in the coming months and years. Now, I'm on to number two, I have some catching up to do!
happy to see you are here. it is good to see you thinking visually. we need to talk sometime.
Post a Comment