Critical Update No. 2
Art Work
Another simple story - haven't done any (sorry seth). As you probably know, it was my original intention to move to Sheffield, do this course and finally become some sort of artist. Well, I'm afraid it just hasn't happened. My house is so titchy that there really isn't any space or place to paint - which of course is only half a reason, cos I could have done something in some other form, like painting miniatures or working on computer. The other half, or maybe quarter of my reason is my mind and free time has virtually all been spent either reading for college or preparing assignments or panicking about them.The last quarter, or third half depending on your maths is also to do with my course, in that the artwork created and thought about in art therapy is generally not that great looking and so isn't treated in the same way as 'fine art'. I don't know why this stops me from doing my own 'normal' artwork, but I think because we often make stuff at college, which is more emotional than aesthetic, it somehow leaves you feeling drained and the idea of making more in my free time seems a bit too much. I'm certain it won't stay like this forever, and the stuff from college has given me some ideas that I'd like to follow in my own artwork, sooner or later. As the school year finishes in May I should have more time to focus over the summer, assuming I can find somewhere to actually do it - of course you've heard these fantasies before, so we'll see what happens. So far, not making art hasn't really been an issue which was a little surprising, but like I say, I've been kept fairly busy with everything else. The one thing I have managed to keep to is attending the monthly sketchcrawls. I really enjoy them, despite getting frustrated that I'm not better than I am. There's always a friendly atmosphere and lots of encouragement. Above are the pages from my sketchcrawl sketchbook - I'm afraid I tend to turn my book round to avoid resting on the spine, which means you might have to rotate your screen to discover what they are drawings of - even then it might not be too obvious! Next saturday is the next one...why don't you all join in?!
Another simple story - haven't done any (sorry seth). As you probably know, it was my original intention to move to Sheffield, do this course and finally become some sort of artist. Well, I'm afraid it just hasn't happened. My house is so titchy that there really isn't any space or place to paint - which of course is only half a reason, cos I could have done something in some other form, like painting miniatures or working on computer. The other half, or maybe quarter of my reason is my mind and free time has virtually all been spent either reading for college or preparing assignments or panicking about them.The last quarter, or third half depending on your maths is also to do with my course, in that the artwork created and thought about in art therapy is generally not that great looking and so isn't treated in the same way as 'fine art'. I don't know why this stops me from doing my own 'normal' artwork, but I think because we often make stuff at college, which is more emotional than aesthetic, it somehow leaves you feeling drained and the idea of making more in my free time seems a bit too much. I'm certain it won't stay like this forever, and the stuff from college has given me some ideas that I'd like to follow in my own artwork, sooner or later. As the school year finishes in May I should have more time to focus over the summer, assuming I can find somewhere to actually do it - of course you've heard these fantasies before, so we'll see what happens. So far, not making art hasn't really been an issue which was a little surprising, but like I say, I've been kept fairly busy with everything else. The one thing I have managed to keep to is attending the monthly sketchcrawls. I really enjoy them, despite getting frustrated that I'm not better than I am. There's always a friendly atmosphere and lots of encouragement. Above are the pages from my sketchcrawl sketchbook - I'm afraid I tend to turn my book round to avoid resting on the spine, which means you might have to rotate your screen to discover what they are drawings of - even then it might not be too obvious! Next saturday is the next one...why don't you all join in?!





2 comments:
Maybe I'll make our students do a sketch crawl sometime, just so I'll have people to journey with :D
drawing is good... keep yer mind goink. my art is moving away from aesthetic a bit and closer to conceptual... so you got the emotion and i got the concept. funny. miss you.
Post a Comment