Thursday, 24 February 2011

Critical Update No. 6


Today is the first day the sun has come out in forever. The flowers came out too.
 Church
Apparently Sheffield has more than its fair share of 'good' churches. I've been to eight of them, not including the Christian centre where I almost lived. I don't quite know what to say about my search for a place to fit in. I'm not sure I've found it, despite the selection of churches, or maybe because of it. I did start going to a house group, which I've since stopped. Although I did quite enjoy the church, it all seemed a bit intellectual and the people were all pretty intellectual too. It wasn't too much of a problem, except it felt (to me) like the worship times in particular were a bit rigid and all about the head and not the heart/spirit. Something which seems more important to me now than it used to in the past. And while the people in the group I attended were nice enough, I just didn't feel like I had much in common with them, and so for the past couple of weeks I've gone back to a church I visited right at the beginning of my time here. I'm not sure if its the 'right' one or not, but for this week at least, it's where I'm going.


 JOURNAL ENTRY - 18.10.2010
TRAINING GROUP
ART MAKING SESSION
Sat in a circle for what seemed like forever - waiting for the staff member to begin leading. We realised after a painful amount of time that she wasn’t going to, which I found really quite annoying. I really don’t see the poin of her being there at all. Eventually we made a piece of art each. Felt so irritated - really didn’t want to do anything. We were supposed to be thinking about this morning’s session and I remembered that when I was looking for materials I came across a glue spreader which I haven’t used since I was at school. Thought of how I always hated doing collage when I was a kid, so decided to make one now. While I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do (content wise), I actually got quite into the process of tearing and sticking tissue paper and liked the image that appeared.
REFLECTION
Think its quite a strong image of a lad who is blue - looks sad - perhaps wearing a disguise/eye mask, and blurting out his feelings in a trumpeting bubble.
Of course he is me.

No comments: