Friday, 5 January 2007

As the sparks fly upwards

I'm really quite excited about this blogging lark, my mind's actually buzzing with ideas of what I'll write about, although knowing me I won't be able to decide when it actually comes down to it. So, what I'm thinking about now is art - well my art that is. Just before Christmas I had more or less decided that art wasn't for me, I had no idea where to start and was so frustrated with what I was trying to produce that I reckoned I should just forget the idea. When I was younger I used to create stuff all the time just for no reason, like I had no choice, whereas now it's so much hard work. I thought that maybe it was a phase which has ended and I should take up football like everybody else (well, I didn't actually think that last part but you get the idea). Then a guest came for our New Year conference. I'd been told he was an artist and wanted to leave his precious sketchbooks somewhere safe. Julie suggested that I looked after them and that way could also get to gawk at them. At first I was quite critical of his drawing ability but it wasn't long before I was caught up in the enthusiasm and passion of each page. Book after book was filled with ideas and inspiration, sketches, words, postcards, photos, so much material I couldn't believe it, or resist. I soon realised that it wasn't that I didn't have any talent, but just that I had stopped thinking, looking, behaving like an artist and that they were all things I could begin again. I later got to meet Mr artist and again was overwhelmed with his creativity and knowledge and passion. He told me I should go to an independent art college in Edinburgh, run by Christians, although not necessarily for them. All of a sudden the idea of getting out of the office and back into a studio seemed very appealing, and even possible - which for some reason surprised me. I think I also just thought that maybe its ok to leave Capernwray and that God might even be happy with me doing something else! Who'd ave thought?!...I sent for the prospectus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya Mi'el,
Wow, so fantastic to read about your life right now! i'm really excited to see what you are thinking and planning! Nice paintings, i would love to see them in person (maybe this summer :). i'm interested to know what the school is you are thinking of going to. i might have to search for it. i'm excited to get better with our JL. Talk to yer soon.
yours
love
seth

shinbone #4 said...

WOW!! It's so good to hear you so enthusiastic!! That would be "super rad" hahaha. Oh stclairlee, I'm glad God is renewing your vision - very exciting!!