Friday, 5 January 2007

Into being


First of all I just wanted to show you a couple of my paintings that I think are decent and a good place to start working from. This painting is currently hanging on the wall in our new lounge. I'm surprised at how many people comment on it and say that they like it. It was an experiment.


This painting was also a bit of a surprise and the third of this 'figure and thing' type work that I've done. Again I'm happy with it and want somehow to retain its feeling in my new stuff.

I told Simon (the artist) about my struggles to make art and he recommended I look at classical paintings, studying them to discover what makes the images successful and then to re-interpret them or their essence in my own. Its quite challenging cos I wouldn't normally be attracted to that kind of art, but I think he might have something, so I'm willing to give it a go. Something I've noticed straight away is the amount of material/imagery packed into so many classical works and my stuff looks very bare in comparison. Its like my images have been cleared of content, either in an attempt to simplify my pictures, or just from a lack of reference - in terms of reality, observational drawings, photos etc. I definitely need to learn to bring more elements into my work though. Another thing I've realised is that I hardly ever paint more than one figure - I can't even think of a painting I've ever done with more than 3 figures! nutty. I can't believe I've never noticed before either.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

I like it, I like it.
Hey there Mr. Lee, glad to see you're in the blogging world, thanx for the address, the words and the pictures on this blog.
My blog is - www.sacmagique.blogspot.com

Wee funny story for you-
I was in Iceland there with Jon and Marisa from my year and our friend Lindsey who was the year after us and I was telling them how one of your top 3 things that makes you happy is watching people fall. I mean, that's funny in and of itself but what made it better was when they quoted that back to me after I fell down the stairs due to my new, non-grip socks!

PS-Glad I got the first comment in, at least before Grace anyway

Anonymous said...

hey mr artsy
that first one (in the blue) is quite nice. I was thinking that if you're having 'artist block' maybe you need a muse, I could send you some pictures of my truck...
r.o. baby

shinbone #4 said...

HEY!!! That turd, stealing the first comment spot!!
Michael I love it!! I am so glad you are blogging.
Please feel free to stop by mine sometime. I have a what's happening in my life right now, type blog
www.graciemcshinbone.blogspot.com
and I have a paitings blog. I have also been trying my hand at it... I would value your input :D
And I'm NOT just saying that. I'm just a beginner you understand and still just using acrylics on Canvas somesday I want to grow up and move on to oils, but I'm scared -hahaha
without further ado... That address is www.paintin.blogspot.com
xx's Gracie