Think less, draw more
So, I've started 2 new sketch books. One is for my daily drawings, following the advice of Mr Danny Gregory (go and look at his site, or better buy his book: dannygregory.com) and the other I have called 'my worst journal ever' and in there I plan to draw- actually have begun - any and all scribbles, ideas etc. that I would normally be too worried about to be in a 'normal' sketch book. Cos I think I get too scared that I always have to produce stuff that looks good and the 'stress' from that stops any creativity - I'm so bothered about making mistakes - crackers or what?! So, I don't plan to show this book to anyone and therefore it doesn't matter how rubbish my drawings are I just scribble as much as I like with the hope being that it will clear away the junk and sooner or later a good idea/image will develop. We'll see.
I'm worried that my enthusiasm for art and art college will die pretty quickly. There's something about sitting at my desk that just sucks the art out of me - don't know what it is. Don't know how to come to terms with the fact that I have to sit here all day. The good news is that I've recently had an appraisal at work and one of the things we discussed was changing my working hours so I can have some free time in the afternoons and work some evenings instead. I'm hoping it will work out well and help with my enthusiasm/attitude to work.
Mister Zackychops responded to the verse on my earlier post (Phil 4:8), and he said instead of just thinking about whatever is right, pure, lovely etc. that we should be thinking it in the context of our current situation, looking for the right, pure, lovely in what's going on now, not just abstract good thoughts that can maybe seem a bit out of touch. At least I think that's what he was saying - hope I haven't misunderstood?! He also said we should "wallpaper our minds with truth, not just stop or tear down the negativity, but re-apply something in its blank space" - what a good idea. What a clever chap. I like wallpaper (and the magazine of the same name), and now I've watched 2 weeks of house make-over programmes I should know all about it! Seriously though I think its a good idea. I'll start papering today.


2 comments:
*Sigh*... I wrote this really clever comment, and Blogger gobbled it up. It just disappeared! Of course... I realize you'll have to take my word for it, that it was indeed clever. In summation let me just say.... Kudos to you!
Good stuff to be working on a couple sketchbooks at once. i find myself working in waves, it is difficult to get into the work like i used to be. But i am training myself to be involved all the time. CONTEXT of our thoughts is grand! There is so much truth to diving into God and our relationship with Him on a moment to moment basis. Keep on praising, pursuing, challenging, growing, it is so wonderful! Wallpapering with truth in greesey.
Post a Comment