Tuesday, 10 April 2007

The Letter

Half an hour after typing the 'Friday' entry, the letter arrived from Leith School of Art. Here's what it said...

Dear Michael
Thank you for attending your interview to discuss your application to the Painting Course for 2007/8 and for the opportunity to see your work. The discussion was a robust one and your work had real strengths and genuine qualities.

However, I am afraid that I am not able to offer you a place on the coming year's course with some regret and suggest that you apply again next year. I think that you should endeavour to work consistently on your drawing and continue to focus hard upon the source of your ideas, spending time consolidating your strengths as we discussed.

I have also put your name onto a waiting list in case there are any cancellations before September
Yours
Paul Martin


So, there we are then. I am half relieved and half 'gutted'. I'm trying to see it as an answer to prayer (which I know it is), instead of believing that God just wants to spoil my fun and make me miserable (which I know is stupid, but for some reason I have the tendency to think that when things don't go the way I want). I know in my head that He obviously has something better for me, although my heart is taking more convincing. The good thing is that I don't feel like I was rejected because I'm not good enough, but rather I think he is a very wise man, and wants to do what's right for me, the school and the other students, I think even if Picasso walked in, he wouldn't necessarily accept him just cos of his talent, but would want to know it was right for all concerned. Well, not sure what more to say right now. Gonna eat some cheese cake and watch tele - the solution to everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cheese cake and tele huh! Well, i'm glad that you finally have an answer! Hope you aren't too much in the gutted frame of mind, but mostly thankful. i think it is exciting all the work you have been doing lately sketching/painting etc. Keep on going. i have been thinking about studying artists who are successfully living making art right now and finding out what they have done to get where they are. There is a way to do it i know, just a matter of getting into galleries and stuff like that. Anyway, glad you finally have yer answer. Look forward to talking to you soon.
PS right now it isn't looking very good for the summer trip to visit! DANG! The tickets are outrageous! If somat changes it might change fast, i'll let you know.

shinbone #4 said...

All very interesting.. and not what I expected the news to be. So I guess that is God trying to make things clear?? Stupid living day by day :D
I want so much to know the future in hopes of understanding God's actions. Well, I pray that God gives you so much joy, and enables you to trust Him like never before (and maybe you could pray the same thing for me) :D
xx's

shinbone #4 said...

I left something on my blog to make you feel better.. Maybe you've watched it before - but really I dare you not to laugh :D